"To upgrade Mycodo automatically, you will need an internet connection." on Pi Zero W w/ internet connection

Hi, I have mycodo 8.9.2 running nicely on a Pi Zero W, and from this pi I can ping google.com and other URLs without issue - what should I look into if I’m seeing the “No internet connection detected. To upgrade Mycodo automatically, you will need an internet connection. Refresh the page when one is connected.” message when I try to upgrade?

Thanks!

AKA

(I’m also looking into this on my own and will update if I fix it!)

Looking at this, I see we’re using 8.8.8.8 as the test IP; I can go on the CLI and ping that IP no problem, though:

pi@casepi:~ $ ping 8.8.8.8
PING 8.8.8.8 (8.8.8.8) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=1 ttl=117 time=32.0 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=2 ttl=117 time=90.5 ms
64 bytes from 8.8.8.8: icmp_seq=3 ttl=117 time=29.5 ms

(no outcomes yet, just adding more info…)

Since this is a Pi Zero, it may be too slow to receive a response before the timeout. Try increasing Internet Test Timeout in the configuration.

1 Like

I changed the timeout to 300s and still see no ability to upgrade (although ping times for same IP are under 100ms).
I’ll keep looking around, maybe change the test IP. Thanks for the suggestions and help!

AKA

A ping is not analogous to what it’s doing, so I would not rely on that to suggest it is able to connect. Let me know if you find any issues.

I think I resolved it, although I don’t understand why the error happened to manifest as “can’t connect to internet”.

I forgot that this Pi was one I had previously upgraded to 8.10.0 and then quickly restored from a backup because of some other 8.10.0 change. So for me, going to Configure->Diagnostics->Delete “update” allowed me to load the Updates page successfully again.

Thanks for the quick help!

AKA

1 Like

Thanks for the update. I’ll look into the update file potentially interfering with the internet test.

Hey there ! Bumping this thread because I am running into a similar issue. My network configuration is a little out of the ordinary (4G router behind CGNAT, reverse proxy) but I am not sure that interacts with the upgrade function.
Is there a ‘forced upgrade’ feature? Should I reinstall mycodo and restore my current configuration?
I am looking to upgrade as it may resolve some issues I have with accessing IP cameras via HTTP.

Thanks!

It needs to detect an internet connection to upgrade. You can change the IP it uses in the configuration.

Thanks Kyle. I tried a few IP addresses - some usual suspects like 8.8.8.8, 9.9.9.9, and even the gateway 192.168.1.1, but it still didn’t pick up the connection.
I ended reinstalling a newer version and losing the configuration in the process, which is okay. The new version is picking up the internet connection just fine, not sure why.

For anyone looking to reinstall, use:

sudo service mycodo stop
sudo service mycodoflask stop
sudo service nginx stop
mv ~/Mycodo ~/Mycodo-backup :: only if you want to backup
curl -L https://kizniche.github.io/Mycodo/install | bash

You should have utilized the settings export/import feature on the Import Export Page.